Monday, June 22, 2020

Bible Verses for Current Events

As we near the halfway point of 2020, it has become apparent that people are seeking peace seemingly more than they ever have before, whether it be peace of mind, financial peace, spiritual peace, peace as an end to violence, or peace from a vaccine or cure for COVID-19. Though we are all seeking it in very diverse ways (staying informed, unplugged, positive, obsessive, disciplined, isolated, charitable, frugal, social, or somewhere among all of those), we are all essentially yearning for the same thing - peace. In my attempt to find peace tonight, I turned to my Bible for answers. (Don’t let me fool you. I don’t do this nearly as much as I should.) After reading through, I decided I’d share them on my blog for anyone who’s feeling a little overwhelmed about where to turn for the myriad of topics blazing through your head right now. I decided to organize them into the following topics: racism/advocacy, fear, leadership, and really anything. The really anything column are verses I found that can be applied to “really anything”. I wanted to have a sickness column, but many of the verses I found for the other topics applied to fears/imagery about sickness and health as well. Let me know if you have some you think I should add, and I pray He helps you find some peace from His word tonight. Amen.

Racism/Advocacy

- Compassion on the crowds: Matthew 9:36
- “Live peaceably with all” - Romans 12:9-21
- What we owe each other: Romans 13:8
- Our identity in Christ: Galatians 3:28
- Race and Jesus summed up: Ephesians 2:14-22
- “The Good Samaritan” story: Luke 10:25

Fear

- Finding rest: Matthew 11:28-30
- Setting our minds on the Spirit: Romans 8:5-7
- Spiritual strength: Ephesians 3:14-21 (really the rest of Ephesians)
- “Fear not” is said in the Bible 365 times.

Leadership

- You as a leader: Matthew 10:5-15
- God’s chosen servant: Matthew 12:18-21
- The story of the prodigal son: Luke 15
- Daniel in the lion’s den

Really Anything

- What I call the “What It’s All About” verse: Matthew 9:9-13
- A tree is known by it’s fruit: Matthew 12:33-37
- He even loves “those people”: Romans 9:25-26
- The example of Christ: Romans 15:1

No comments:

Post a Comment